If I lost a kg every time I sat down to write this post and ended up doing something else, I would be anorexic by now. I mean okay life can be busy, but if Blake Lively can manage her lifestyle website, what excuse do I have. Blee.
Anyway, so here it goes! Whole-wheat pasta. Super easy to make and super delicious – not to mention nutritious 😉 When I first entered the world of whole-wheat food, I thought I had seen everything when I discovered brown rice. But it turned out I was wrong; there was whole-wheat pasta out there too. And that too in more than one shape. I have tried fettuccine from N’eco’s (NOT a fan), a penne shaped from a brand I can’t recall and this time it was shell shaped I got from Naheed. I saw the brand Barilla, and I bought it in an instant (by instant I mean ten minutes that I spent contemplating whether I wanted to buy penne shaped again or try a new one). Anybody seen those Italian Barilla ads? We saw so many in our marketing class in college and they totally made me buy this pack.
If you have never had whole-wheat pasta before, the taste might need some getting used to. The pasta has a deep rich flavor – unlike white pasta which I feel doesn’t have any taste. Cooked with the right seasonings, whole-wheat pasta can be pretty tasty too. I mean seriously, who says you have to deprive yourself while eating healthy?
Tomato Garlic Whole-Wheat Pasta
- Whole-wheat pasta – 1 cup
- Tomato -1 medium, chopped
- Garlic cloves – 2 to 3, finely chopped
- Green chili – 1, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper – According to taste
- Cottage cheese – To your heart’s desire
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Boil pasta and set aside
- Fry garlic in a non-stick pan in olive oil
- Add green chili and tomato and fry for few minutes till tender
- If you feel the tomatoes are not tender, add a bit of water and cook for 5-8 minutes
- When dry, add salt and freshly ground pepper and mix pasta
- Top with grated cottage cheese
Note: Instead of topping it with grated cottage cheese, you can even make a healthy white sauce by blending cottage cheese with skim milk in a high speed blender. Since cottage cheese is clumpy, you will have to blend for a while for that smooth consistency. Add salt, pepper and oregano and cook separately on the stove top for 3-5 minutes, before mixing it in the pasta.
Enjoy for dinner or pack it for lunch the next day 😀